[gmx-users] Dihedral parameters from QM and MM relaxed surface scans

Eric Smoll ericsmoll at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 23:48:07 CEST 2018

Mark,

*Thank you for the reply! *

I understand your conclusion but I am trying to rule out workflow errors on
my part before I make decisions based on the suitability of this
forcefield. Let's say I am testing a QM-geometry optimized molecule with
two identical (same parameters) and coupled dihedrals: phiA and phiB.

Across a QM dihedral relaxed surface scan (RSS), phiA is held at the
initial QM geometry optimized value and phiB is incremented across the 360
degrees of its rotation.
Thus, each step of the QM RSS has two dihedral restraints.

Then, each step of the associated MM RSS should use the same two dihedral
restraints relaxing all other DOF's. The results can be used to calculate a
"restrained" MM PES for phiB.

In this example, how should the "unrestrained" PES be computed with "mdrun
-rerun"? Should both dihedral restraints be removed across each step of the
MM PES scan? Or should the dihedral restrain on phiA stay?

"If the normal FF was parameterized for the species and configurations of
interest, then you'd observe that the unrestrained PES matched the
restrained PES, ie that the contributions from the restraint were
negligible."

I see. I did not make that connection. Thank you.

Best,
Eric