[gmx-users] new threadripper

Harry Mark Greenblatt harry.greenblatt at weizmann.ac.il
Tue Aug 14 10:47:15 CEST 2018

BS”D

  The newest and most powerful AMD Threadripper, the 2990WX with 32 cores coupled with two powerful GPU’s seems quite attractive, but 2 of the CPU dies are not directly connected to the system memory.  Some reviews have warned that this will impact performance under certain workloads, as stated in this Tom’s Hardware article:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2-2990wx-2950x,5725.html

”That creates an architecture capable of incredible performance in heavily-threaded workloads that aren’t sensitive to memory throughput, but less impressive results in bandwidth-hungry applications that don't scale well with extra cores."

So where does Gromacs 2018 (and future versions) lie on that scale?  Seems to me that it lands in the first category, but I would like some confirmation on this.

Thanks

Harry

Harry M. Greenblatt
Associate Staff Scientist
Dept of Structural Biology           harry.greenblatt at weizmann.ac.il<mailto:harry.greenblatt at weizmann.ac.il>
Weizmann Institute of Science        Phone:  972-8-934-6340
234 Herzl St.                        Facsimile:   972-8-934-3361
Rehovot, 7610001
Israel