[gmx-users] Combining position restraints with Parrinello-Rahman pressure coupling leads to instabilities

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Aug 20 13:32:50 CEST 2018

On 8/20/18 6:52 AM, Naba wrote:
> Dear Gromacs users and developers,
>
> I am using Gromacs 2018.2.
> Following the membrane protein simulation tutorial, I am planning to run
> long simulations of a tetramer that needs larger lipid bilayer than 128
> lipids as described in the tutorial. So, I have replicated the
> pre-equilibrated POPC bilayer of 128 lipids from lipidbook (
> https://lipidbook.bioch.ox.ac.uk/lipid/) to get a larger bilayer of 512
> lipids using genconf. Moreover, I have extended gromos54a7_lipid.ff
> forcefield to Berger lipid parameters for long membrane protein
> simulations. I have set 10 ns for NVT and 20 ns for NPT equilibration.
> NVT simulation ran successfully, but when I reached to NPT equilibration,
> grompp showed me a note like the following:
> "You are combining position restraints with Parrinello-Rahman pressure
>    coupling, which can lead to instabilities. If you really want to combine
>    position restraints with pressure coupling, we suggest to use Berendsen
>    pressure coupling instead."

I think this note is a bit imprecise. grompp is guessing that the
combination of Parrinello-Rahman and restraints implies equilibration,
and it should really say so, or otherwise do a more rigorous check to
see if velocities are being generated. In principle, there shouldn't be
anything wrong with this approach, but Parrinello-Rahman *usually* isn't
the best choice for equilibration.

> When I used Berendsen pressure coupling, grompp terminated with a warning
> as:
> "Using Berendsen pressure coupling invalidates the true ensemble for the
>    thermostat"

This only matters for production runs. The Berendsen method should never
be used for actual data collection. For equilibration, it's perfectly
fine because you're going to throw this time out, anyway.

-Justin

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall
340 West Campus Dr.