[gmx-users] potential energy per molecules or per mole

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 06:52:12 CEST 2018

I already answered your question. If you prefer words like "extensive
thermodynamic property," please consider your favorite equations from
thermodynamics, in which a linear function of energies, values of PV or
TS are present. On the other side, despite the fact that all of these
equations have been traditionally rescaled to 1 mol, there is total mass
of the system, i.e. what you call "extensive thermodynamic properties"
are nothing but properties of a given amount of matter.

The same logic explains the difference between total volume and volume
per mole. Your energy of intermolecular interactions is ~ 170 kJ/mol.

Alex