[gmx-users] mdrun-adjusted cutoffs?!

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 23:56:17 CET 2018

Hi Mark,

I am not sure it is a concern, to be honest, so let me just lay out my
thoughts and maybe you could share your opinion.

I recently shared a link for our recent paper
(https://www.nature.com/articles/s41563-018-0220-4), in which the
quantity of interest is ion current via pores that disallow what we
normally mean by diffusive permeation. Instead, there are considerable
barriers and ionic currents are rather precisely described by
exp(-E/kT), where E is some energy calculated from nonbonded
interactions and includes a huge contribution from the solvent. It is my
understanding that NB stuff gets parameterized at a particular cutoff
value and our results are rather sensitive to that. I can't say we're
dying to have extreme repeatability, but is it in your opinion
acceptable to have variability in the cutoff radii and the rlist between
something like 1.0 - 1.2 nm? To begin with, I am not particularly
worried about it, because we mostly report on qualitative behaviors, but
I am interested in your opinion. I have read the manual and
unfortunately there is nothing in the way of actually showing estimates
of NB energy variation as a function of small differences in cutoffs.

Thank you,

Alex