[gmx-users] mdrun-adjusted cutoffs?!

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 07:07:37 CET 2018

Hi,

One needs to be more specific than NB. There is evidence that VDW cutoffs
of traditional lengths cause approximation errors that cause compensating
parameterization errors elsewhere; those effects get worse if the system is
inhomogeneous. Accordingly, mdrun never touches VDW cutoffs. Electrostatic
with PME is quite another matter - there you need sufficient overall
accuracy, and there are multiple equivalent ways to do that.

Mark