[gmx-users] Contraints on both angles and dihedrals

Ahmet Yildirim ahmedo047 at gmail.com
Wed May 9 13:08:35 CEST 2018

Hi,

The flexibility of the ligand due to its internal motions is a big issue
when I turn off protein-ligand interactions in the decoupled state (state
1). Applying Boresch's restraints between the protein and ligand, applying
positional retraints on all the atoms of the ligand or adding dihedral
restraints is not sufficient to get the rigidified ligand in the case that
the ligand is very flexible.  So, if the ligand were quite rigid, the
target system (state 1) would be sufficiently similar to the reference
system (state 0). For instance, the intersection of the work distributions
of the forward (0-->1) and backward (1-->0) state would provide the
accurate estimates of free energy...
If GROMACS have the ability to constraint all the internal coordinates of
the ligand, then the cost of the angle, bond and dihedral constraints can
be calculated with an extra step. That is easy.

Do you have any plans for the implementation of such a feature to the next
version of GROMACS-2018.1? :)

Ahmet Yildirim