[gmx-users] Contraints on both angles and dihedrals

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed May 9 13:13:55 CEST 2018

On 5/9/18 7:08 AM, Ahmet Yildirim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The flexibility of the ligand due to its internal motions is a big issue
> when I turn off protein-ligand interactions in the decoupled state (state
> 1). Applying Boresch's restraints between the protein and ligand, applying
> positional retraints on all the atoms of the ligand or adding dihedral
> restraints is not sufficient to get the rigidified ligand in the case that
> the ligand is very flexible.  So, if the ligand were quite rigid, the
> target system (state 1) would be sufficiently similar to the reference
> system (state 0). For instance, the intersection of the work distributions
> of the forward (0-->1) and backward (1-->0) state would provide the
> accurate estimates of free energy...

Treating the ligand as fully rigid in this case is not a way to correct
this problem, because then you're making an assumption that a fixed pose
is the only one that's relevant.

For large, flexible ligands, alchemical transformations can be
cumbersome if not impossible. Try a different approach, like computing a
PMF with the pull code or doing MM/PBSA calculations.

-Justin

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall
340 West Campus Dr.