[gmx-users] SMD regarding

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat May 12 16:44:29 CEST 2018

On 5/12/18 10:41 AM, RAHUL SURESH wrote:
> Thank you Dr. Mark
>
> Is it valid to do such simulation despite causing the distortion in lipids?

Lipids are highly dynamic. They can tilt, flip-flop, pack and expand.
What you need to do is perform your simulation in such a way that the
lipids are not *artificially* distorted purely as a consequence of what
you are doing. Performing the SMD with care will take care of this (e.g.
not just applying some absurdly high force constant and fast pulling, in
which case you'd just be obliterating the membrane).

-Justin

> On Sat, 12 May 2018 at 8:06 PM, Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It's clear that pulling on a membrane protein will affect the behavior of
>> the lipids in the membrane.
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> On Sat, May 12, 2018, 14:21 RAHUL SURESH <drrahulsuresh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear users,
>>>
>>> I have a complex [ dimer ] membrane protein. I want to perform sMD for
>> this
>>> complex structure. Is it valid and possible  to perform pull code for the
>>> complex protein structure in the presence of lipid bilayer ?
>>>
>>> If yes, will it not disturb the lipid configurations of the system?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>> --
>>> *Regards,*
>>> *Rahul *