[gmx-users] Setting rcon according to system

Sergio Perez sperezconesa at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 10:18:08 CET 2018

Hello,
First of all thanks for the help :)
I don't necessarily need to run it with 100 processors, I just want to know
how much I can reduce rcon taking into account the knowledge of my system
without compromising the accuracy. Let me give some more details of my
system. The system is a sodium montmorillonite clay with two solid
alumino-silicate layers with two aqueous interlayers between them. The
system has TIP4P waters, some OH bonds within the clay and the bonds of the
uranyl hydrated ion described in my previous email as constraints. The
system is orthorrhombic 4.67070x4.49090x3.77930 and has 9046 atoms.

This is the ouput of gromacs:

Initializing Domain Decomposition on 100 ranks
Dynamic load balancing: locked
Initial maximum inter charge-group distances:
   two-body bonded interactions: 0.470 nm, Tab. Bonds NC, atoms 10 13
Minimum cell size due to bonded interactions: 0.000 nm
Maximum distance for 5 constraints, at 120 deg. angles, all-trans: 0.842 nm
Estimated maximum distance required for P-LINCS: 0.842 nm
This distance will limit the DD cell size, you can override this with -rcon
Guess for relative PME load: 0.04
Will use 90 particle-particle and 10 PME only ranks
This is a guess, check the performance at the end of the log file
Using 10 separate PME ranks, as guessed by mdrun
Scaling the initial minimum size with 1/0.8 (option -dds) = 1.25
Optimizing the DD grid for 90 cells with a minimum initial size of 1.052 nm
The maximum allowed number of cells is: X 4 Y 4 Z 3

Program:     mdrun_mpi, version 2018.1
Source file: src/gromacs/domdec/domdec.cpp (line 6571)
MPI rank:    0 (out of 100)

Fatal error:
There is no domain decomposition for 90 ranks that is compatible with the
given box and a minimum cell size of 1.05193 nm
Change the number of ranks or mdrun option -rcon or -dds or your LINCS
settings
Look in the log file for details on the domain decomposition

Thank you for your help!