[gmx-users] Setting rcon according to system

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 20:47:06 CET 2018

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 3:18 AM Sergio Perez <sperezconesa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> First of all thanks for the help :)
> I don't necessarily need to run it with 100 processors, I just want to know
> how much I can reduce rcon taking into account the knowledge of my system
> without compromising the accuracy. Let me give some more details of my
> system. The system is a sodium montmorillonite clay with two solid
> alumino-silicate layers with two aqueous interlayers between them. The

I assume the silicate network has many bonds over large space - these
adjacent bonds are the issue, not uranyl. (You would have the same problem
with a clay-only system.)

> system has TIP4P waters, some OH bonds within the clay and the bonds of the
> uranyl hydrated ion described in my previous email as constraints. The
> system is orthorrhombic 4.67070x4.49090x3.77930 and has 9046 atoms.
>
> This is the ouput of gromacs:
>
> Initializing Domain Decomposition on 100 ranks
> Dynamic load balancing: locked
> Initial maximum inter charge-group distances:
>    two-body bonded interactions: 0.470 nm, Tab. Bonds NC, atoms 10 13
> Minimum cell size due to bonded interactions: 0.000 nm
> Maximum distance for 5 constraints, at 120 deg. angles, all-trans: 0.842 nm
> Estimated maximum distance required for P-LINCS: 0.842 nm
> This distance will limit the DD cell size, you can override this with -rcon
> Guess for relative PME load: 0.04
> Will use 90 particle-particle and 10 PME only ranks

GROMACS has guessed to use 90 ranks in the real-space domain decomposition,
e.g. as an array of 6x5x3 ranks.

> This is a guess, check the performance at the end of the log file
> Using 10 separate PME ranks, as guessed by mdrun
> Scaling the initial minimum size with 1/0.8 (option -dds) = 1.25
> Optimizing the DD grid for 90 cells with a minimum initial size of 1.052 nm
> The maximum allowed number of cells is: X 4 Y 4 Z 3

... but only 4x4x3=48 ranks can work with the connectivity of your input.
Thus you are simply using too many ranks for a small system. You'd have to
relax the tolerances quite a lot to get to use 90 ranks. Just follow the
first part of the message advice and use fewer ranks :-)