[gmx-users] CHARMM36 GROMACS implementation

John Whittaker johnwhittake at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Nov 20 14:44:35 CET 2018

Hi Justin, thanks for the reply and the good idea.

I checked a configuration of my system using both force fields and, for
the information of anyone who may have a similar problem in the future,
found using gmx energy:

CHARMM36 from Tom Piggot on GROMACS website:

Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
Bond                         8026.4         --          0          0
LJ-14                       3825.57         --          0          0
Coulomb-14                 -66212.1         --          0          0
LJ (SR)                    -6600.53         --          0          0
Coulomb (SR)                -238906         --          0          0
Potential                   -223757         --          0          0
Kinetic En.                  101836         --          0          0
Total Energy                -121921         --          0          0

CHARMM36 official implementation from MacKerell lab website:

Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
Bond                         8026.4         --          0          0
LJ-14                       3825.56         --          0          0
Coulomb-14                 -66212.1         --          0          0
LJ (SR)                    -6600.04         --          0          0
Coulomb (SR)                -238906         --          0          0
Potential                   -223757         --          0          0
Kinetic En.                  101836         --          0          0
Total Energy                -121921         --          0          0

So, from the PE/KE/E-total values, the force fields are equivalent for my
system of DPPC and CHARMM-TIP3P. But curiously, I noticed the LJ values
are slightly different for each (LJ-14, 3825.57/3825.56) and (LJ (SR),
-6600.53/-6600.04). Should I concern myself at all with this difference?
Both single-point reruns were processed and ran using 5.1.2.

Out of curiosity, I also grompp'd and reran using 5.1.5. This time I
received the exact same LJ-14 and LJ (SR) values as in 5.1.2 (but still
those small differences between the force field) but the overall values of
the potential energy for both force fields was different than in 5.1.2 (by
14 kJ/mol).

Is there a simple explanation for why this might happen?

Thanks again in advance for any help.

John