[gmx-users] CHARMM36 GROMACS implementation

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 15:18:19 CET 2018

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 2:45 PM John Whittaker <
johnwhittake at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hi Justin, thanks for the reply and the good idea.
>
> I checked a configuration of my system using both force fields and, for
> the information of anyone who may have a similar problem in the future,
> found using gmx energy:
>
> CHARMM36 from Tom Piggot on GROMACS website:
>
> Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
> Bond                         8026.4         --          0          0
> LJ-14                       3825.57         --          0          0
> Coulomb-14                 -66212.1         --          0          0
> LJ (SR)                    -6600.53         --          0          0
> Coulomb (SR)                -238906         --          0          0
> Potential                   -223757         --          0          0
> Kinetic En.                  101836         --          0          0
> Total Energy                -121921         --          0          0
>
> CHARMM36 official implementation from MacKerell lab website:
>
> Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
> Bond                         8026.4         --          0          0
> LJ-14                       3825.56         --          0          0
> Coulomb-14                 -66212.1         --          0          0
> LJ (SR)                    -6600.04         --          0          0
> Coulomb (SR)                -238906         --          0          0
> Potential                   -223757         --          0          0
> Kinetic En.                  101836         --          0          0
> Total Energy                -121921         --          0          0
>
> So, from the PE/KE/E-total values, the force fields are equivalent for my
> system of DPPC and CHARMM-TIP3P. But curiously, I noticed the LJ values

Indeed

> are slightly different for each (LJ-14, 3825.57/3825.56) and (LJ (SR),
> -6600.53/-6600.04). Should I concern myself at all with this difference?
> Both single-point reruns were processed and ran using 5.1.2.

No, that's down at the level where the order of floating point operations
dominates other considerations.

Out of curiosity, I also grompp'd and reran using 5.1.5. This time I
> received the exact same LJ-14 and LJ (SR) values as in 5.1.2 (but still
> those small differences between the force field) but the overall values of
> the potential energy for both force fields was different than in 5.1.2 (by
> 14 kJ/mol).
>
> Is there a simple explanation for why this might happen?

Maybe. Depends in what component the difference lies, and whether any of
the release notes points to a reason - see
http://manual.gromacs.org/documentation/#older-releases

Mark

Thanks again in advance for any help.