[gmx-users] Non-symmetric PMF across lipid bilayer

Jochen Hub jhub at gwdg.de
Wed Nov 21 18:22:27 CET 2018

Hi PK,

I just looked at your PMF profile.xvg - you have a huge offset between
the left and right end (140 kJ/mol), suggesting that you have a major
problem with convergence. I would not use -cycl here - as such, I
disagree here with the previous messages. :)

-cycl is acceptable if your PMF looks more or less cyclic (no offset
between left and right end). In that case, -cycl makes use of your
knowledge that the PMF "should" be cyclic if you would simulate much
longer. In other words: Witih -cycl, you get the most plausible PMF in
the light of (i) your histograms and (ii) your knowledge that the PMF
should be cyclic.

I would instead try to find out *why* you have such a massive sampling
problem. A reason could be that you have not used a good reaction
coordinate (probably the COM of the solute wrt. the membrane?). Maybe
you drag a lot of water into the membrane in the xi<0 region, but not in
the x>0 region?

Good luck,
Jochen

Am 21.11.18 um 15:49 schrieb Justin Lemkul:

> On 11/21/18 9:03 AM, Gmx QA wrote:
>> Hi Sheryas,
>>
>> Thanks - so are you saying that the PMF should be asymmetric with respect
>> to the leaflets even before I make the PMF symmetric? This seems to
>> contradict what Justin just said, but maybe you mean the same thing?
>
> I think we're saying the same thing, but I must correct an error I made.
> I misremembered the WHAM option you need. It is not -sym (which
> symmetrizes around zero), you need -cycl, which sets the end points to
> be equivalent. This is effectively "symmetry" but with respect to the
> end points, as I have been saying, rather than symmetry in the sense of
> a "mirror image" at equivalent +/- values of the reaction coordinate.
>
> -Justin
>
>> Den ons 21 nov. 2018 kl 14:57 skrev Shreyas Kaptan
>> <shreyaskaptan at gmail.com
>>> :
>>> I am reasonably sure that if the bilayer composition is asymmetric with
>>> respect to leaflets you should see asymmetry in the PMF. In the ideal
>>> case,
>>> of infinite sampling, you should have zero free energy difference in the
>>> bulk solvent for either side.

>>> Use

>>> or

>>> --
>>> Shreyas Sanjay Kaptan
>>> --
>>>
>>> * Please search the archive at
>>> posting!

>>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Dr. Jochen Hub
Computational Molecular Biophysics Group
Institute for Microbiology and Genetics
Georg-August-University of Göttingen
Justus-von-Liebig-Weg 11, 37077 Göttingen, Germany.
Phone: +49-551-39-14189
http://cmb.bio.uni-goettingen.de/