[gmx-users] Coulomb and vdW energies

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Dec 1 13:44:49 CET 2019

On 12/1/19 5:28 AM, Shreyas Kaptan wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I would not say that it is completely unrealistic/unphysical. Especially,
> the Electrostatic part. If within two subgroups, you could show that there
> is systematic repulsive or attractive potential, that could lead to some
> hypothesis about how they interact (e.g. pushing/pulling). Of course, this
> is only true of ratios of decomposed energies that are large proportions of
> the total energy, as smaller portions might not be really
> significant indicators of strong interactions.

I would argue that such an outcome is equally likely to be an indicator
of a force field error as it is some real behavior. The problem with all
such decomposition is - there is no verifiable target data (QM or
empirical) that can tell you which is true. This is why the individual
quantities have no meaning. Total interaction energy is a quantity that
you can get from QM very easily and is therefore valid target data -
CHARMM uses this and the origins of OPLS were the same. Other force
fields do not necessarily target such information so the total
interaction energy with those models is questionable.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall

340 West Campus Dr.