[gmx-users] Performance GROMACS on GPU

Talarico Carmine Carmine.Talarico at dompe.com
Mon Dec 9 12:09:39 CET 2019

Hi,
I run three simulations on 1 node with 3 GPU by using an increasing number of GPUs.

This is my system:
1 node with total 36 cores, 72 logical cores, 3 compatible GPUs

GROMACS version:    2018.2
Precision:          single
Memory model:       64 bit
MPI library:        thread_mpi
OpenMP support:     enabled (GMX_OPENMP_MAX_THREADS = 64)
GPU support:        CUDA
SIMD instructions:  AVX2_256
FFT library:        fftw-3.3.8-sse2-avx-avx2-avx2_128-avx512
RDTSCP usage:       enabled
TNG support:        enabled
Hwloc support:      hwloc-1.11.0
Tracing support:    disabled
Built on:           2018-08-01 09:03:03

GPU info:
    Number of GPUs detected: 3
    #0: NVIDIA Tesla V100-PCIE-32GB, compute cap.: 7.0, ECC: yes, stat: compatible
    #1: NVIDIA Tesla V100-PCIE-32GB, compute cap.: 7.0, ECC: yes, stat: compatible
    #2: NVIDIA Tesla V100-PCIE-32GB, compute cap.: 7.0, ECC: yes, stat: compatible

These are the launched commands on two different system size and related performances:

Command

ns/day

h/ns

Alchol Dehydrogenase system (95561 atoms)

gmx mdrun -deffnm topol -nb gpu -pme gpu -ntmpi 1 -ntomp 12

53.355

0.45

gmx mdrun -deffnm topol -nb gpu -pme gpu -ntmpi 2 -ntomp 12 -npme 1 -gputasks 01

53.176

0.451

gmx mdrun -deffnm topol -nb gpu -pme gpu -ntmpi 3 -ntomp 12 -npme 1 -gputasks 012

50.024

0.48

Villin system (4723 atoms)

gmx mdrun -deffnm topol -nb gpu -pme gpu -ntmpi 1 -ntomp 12

589.635

0.041

gmx mdrun -deffnm topol -nb gpu -pme gpu -ntmpi 2 -ntomp 12 -npme 1 -gputasks 01

727.139

0.033

gmx mdrun -deffnm topol -nb gpu -pme gpu -ntmpi 3 -ntomp 12 -npme 1 -gputasks 012

664.695

0.036

Despite the performances seems very strange, because by increasing the number of GPUs in a big system I can't seeing a speedup, while in a small system the performance's peak is reached with 2 GPU,
can I ask to all of you if I'm using the GPU's selection options in the right way?

Moreover, I'm not sure about the right usage of -ntomp option, I thought to ask in another session.

Thanks a lot!
Carmine

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete
the message.

        Thank you