[gmx-users] [gmx-user] 300K vs 310K for molecular dynamic simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Dec 30 14:30:16 CET 2019

On 12/28/19 2:09 PM, Quin K wrote:
> Hi
>
> Which temperature should be used for molecular dynamic simulation of a
> human protein?
> If we used 300K would that give significantly different results from 310K
> MD simulation?
> Some argue that since human body temperature is around ~310K MD should be
> done at 310K.
> However I saw many papers that have used 300K for MD of human proteins.

Depends on what they're modeling and what the context is. The difference
in thermal energy between 300 and 310 K is very small, to the point that
any differences that arise would likely be within normal fluctuations
(or error) of either individual simulation.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall

340 West Campus Dr.