[gmx-users] info about gpus

paul buscemi pbuscemi at q.com
Fri Feb 1 16:58:12 CET 2019

I’ve run these conditions recently. The scale from as single 1080ti to 2080ti is proportional to the core number. the increase I’ve seen with 1080+1080 is 1.3-1.5 times as fast  and perhaps 1.3 -1.6 times as fast depending on the model.  In a million atom membrane model the two 1080ti’s ran at 12 ns/d in an equilibrated npt and the 1080ti +2080ti at ~15 ns day.  In either case more than enough time to go get some coffee.

Personally  i feel that unless you  are building really large systems ( 10+ GPU’s ) and are working with models under about 200k atoms, then the two 1080ti are just fine.  Don’t expect a doubling on any case. Unless you are really strapped for time using two 1080’s may work.  going from 150 ns/day to 200 is a good time saver for smaller systems.

If you Google  gromac benchmarks you will find several articles on the issue.

PB