[gmx-users] info about gpus

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 14:34:51 CET 2019

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 4:58 PM paul buscemi <pbuscemi at q.com> wrote:

> I’ve run these conditions recently. The scale from as single 1080ti to 2080ti is proportional to the core number. the increase I’ve seen with 1080+1080 is 1.3-1.5 times as fast  and perhaps 1.3 -1.6 times as fast depending on the model.

Careful with extrapolating across generations of GPUs especially
without considering simulation size effects!

Some GPU architectural improvements lead to performance improvements
much larger than what in "core" count (or more appropriately
core-count x frequency) would suggest. For instance, pair-interaction
computation shows a markedly larger (per core and per GHz) improvement
from e.g. Pascal to Turing than from Maxwell to Pascal. Other
computation does not improve nearly as much.

Additionally, performance and scaling will be a lot very different
depending on the size-regime; e.g. the difference between a 1080 and
1080 Ti may be marginal for smaller inputs while it can be 20-30% for
larger ones.