[gmx-users] Do hydrogen bonds innately exist using mdrun?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Feb 11 21:14:02 CET 2019

Please don't reply to the whole digest, just cut and paste the relevant
portions and change the subject (or better, don't subscribe in digest
mode when actively participating in discussions).

On 2/10/19 1:48 PM, James wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> Thank you for the information. This is a bit disheartening:
>
> "There is no water model that achieves correct agreement with all
> structural, dynamic, and thermodynamic properties of water"
>

> But, I guess that's what you get with force fields rather than using QM
> methods. If you have any familiarity with them, do you think any of the
> reactive force fields are better? (Though even if they are I gather they
> are about 50X slower, which is essentially intractable for many models)

A reactive model only makes sense if you care about proton transfer. I
don't use such models but would not believe that they're magically
better than any existing non-reactive, additive model. The problem with
any classical force field is a combination of failure to account for
charge/proton transfer and polarization (we've made progress on the
latter, and though they are better, even polarizable models are not
perfect).

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall