[gmx-users] Lipids running out of simulation box

徐以会 xuyh1 at shanghaitech.edu.cn
Fri Jan 10 02:07:50 CET 2020

Dear all,

I am simulating a lipid bilayer under dehydration (1:5 lipid/water). In order to compare it with the bilayer periodicity d of X-ray diffraction. As the paper suggests for dehydrated membrane,
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/292341967_Solvent-exposed_lipid_tail_protrusions_depend_on_lipid_membrane_composition_and_curvature
I built up a double-bilayer using packmol rather than solvate (to precisely control the number of water).
As the water layer is very thin, many DOPC run out of the simulation box.  Trjconv can surely repair the appearance, but I assume the bilayer periodicity (z1-z2) is longer accurate.

So my questions:
(1) Is double bilayer a good system to obtain d?
(2) Does lipids out of box affect the calculation of d?
(3) If so, how to prevent it?

Kind regards,
Yihui Xu
---
School of Physical Science and Technology at ShanghaiTech University
Shanghai, China