[gmx-users] cannot load the xtc file (without PBC) to VMD

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jan 13 14:30:24 CET 2020

On 1/13/20 5:35 AM, Lalehan Ozalp wrote:
> Dear all, I have a question regarding loading .xtc file (with no periodic
> boundary conditions) to VMD which I generated before. To this end, I had
> used the command:
> trjconv -f md_0_10.xtc -s md_30.tpr -n index.ndx -o noPBC.xtc -pbc mol -ur
> compact -center
> and selected *protein* for centering, and *system* for output.
> However, when I load my corresponding gro file to VMD, and then loading the
> xtc file above, the following error occurs:
>
> ERROR) BaseMolecule: attempt to init atoms while structure building in
> progress!
> ERROR) Invalid number of atoms in file: 132259
> Info) Using plugin xtc for coordinates from file
> /home/habibe/lale/mao-MD/mao-a/20ns_extend/noPBC.xtc
> ERROR) Incorrect number of atoms (132259) in
> ERROR) coordinate file /home/habibe/lale/mao-MD/mao-a/20ns_extend/noPBC.xtc
> ERROR) Mismatch between existing molecule or structure file atom count and
> coordinate or trajectory file atom count.
> Info) Finished with coordinate file
> /home/habibe/lale/mao-MD/mao-a/20ns_extend/noPBC.xtc.

The error implies you've loaded a mismatched coordinate file for this
trajectory, or otherwise didn't save the number of coordinates you
thought you did with trjconv. This is really more of a VMD problem, so
you may find better support on their mailing list.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall

340 West Campus Dr.