[gmx-users] Hydrogen bonding criteria in Gromacs

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jan 15 18:29:51 CET 2020

On 1/15/20 11:57 AM, Pandya, Akash wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I  wanted to ask a couple of questions about the hydrogen bonding calculation in Gromacs.
>

>    1.   Why is the default angle cutoff 30 degrees? The reason I ask this is because I’ve seen in other packages with higher angle cutoffs.

It depends on how the software defines the angle. The GROMACS convention
is the angle corresponds to H-D-A rather than D-H-A like some other
programs. H-D-A cutoff of 30 degrees is equivalent to the "conventional"
150-degree D-H-A cutoff.

>    2.  What’s the best way to define cutoffs for my system? I know this is ambiguous, but is there a procedure I can use to decide?

The default criteria are widely used and usually don't require any tuning.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall

340 West Campus Dr.