[gmx-users] com motion and position restraints may cause artifacts

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jan 17 14:21:08 CET 2020

On 1/17/20 3:01 AM, Berk Hess wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using center of mass motion removal in combination with an absolute reference in the system, such as position restraints, will always lead to artifacts, as physical motion is removed and not drift due to numerical rounding errors. For the most common case of equilibrating macromolecules using position restraints these artifacts are usually negligible.
>
> So we should probably add a sentence to the note:
> Removing center of mass motion in the presence of positions restraints  might cause artifacts. When position restraints are used to equilibrate a macromolecule these artifacts are usually negligible.

Thanks, Berk. I do think this addition would be important. Most people
are going to encounter the note doing exactly what you describe,
equilibrating a macromolecule. If the artifacts are negligible in this
case, it should be made clear to avoid concern.

-Justin

> I think we should add a comm-removal setting "auto" which should be the default, so grompp can automatically turn off comm-removal when using position restraints.
>
> I realize now that we should check if there are no other artifacts when doing equilibration with position restraints in an NPT ensemble without comm-removal. I expect NVT should be fine without comm-removal.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Berk

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall