[gmx-users] specific heat calculation using "gmx dos"

Christian Blau blau at kth.se
Mon Jan 20 14:18:25 CET 2020

Hi Pragati,

Answers in short:

1. It's only c_v, you'll have to add VT \alpha_T^2/ \kappa_T to obtain c_p

2. I suggest you use the approach in the paper, running an NVT simulation and base all on the c_v estimate.

3. To check convergence, I suggest running the analysis again on shorter parts of your trajectory (1/2 of the data, 1/4
of the data etc.)

4. You'll not see the quantum correction with this approach, your force-field might rely on entropy- enthalpy
compensation. I would guess that you would obtain worse results with such an approach.

The DOS tool follows the supplementary material S(1)-S(17) in "Force Field Benchmark of Organic Liquids: Density,
Enthalpy of Vaporization, Heat Capacities, Surface Tension, Isothermal Compressibility, Volumetric Expansion
Coefficient, and Dielectric Constant" by

Carl Caleman, Paul J. van Maaren, Minyan Hong, Jochen S. Hub, Luciano T. Costa, David van der Spoel. It's output "Heat
capacity ... J/mol K" corresponds to equation (14) in above publication, the constant volume heat capacity c_v *with*
quantum correction. To obtain c_p you would still need to apply (eqn 12).

Best,

Christian