[gmx-users] Thin film drifting

Alex alexanderwien2k at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 19:44:10 CEST 2020

Thanks.

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 11:59 AM David van der Spoel <spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se>
wrote:

> Den 2020-03-29 kl. 15:16, skrev Alex:
> > Thank Prof. van der Spoel for the response.
> > No, it isn't. The thin film is solid. There are interaction within the
> thin
> > film and with water in the interface.
> >
> > Please find a short movie of the unwrapped trajectory of the simulation
> in
> > below link (water molecules are hidden); It shows minimization, then
> > equalization (NVT : tcoupl = v-rescale), then equalization (NpT : tcoupl
> =
> > v-rescale and pcoupl = berendsen) and then production (NpT : tcoupl =
> > v-rescale and pcoupl = Parrinello-Rahman).
> >
> > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jk-Pun1BICNArGJaW0ydIY5TTivECGMf
> >
> > The thin film starts drifting significantly in the production along both
> > and y directions.
> Thanks, do you have isotropic pressure scaling?

Yes, the pcoupltype is isotropic. Please find the mdp file in below link.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iYt6eTcQ4SBi1A9ZFOenL7Q7wc37UvLa

> Is the shift towards higher x and y values?

The shift is toward higher y value (+y).
It also firstly goes toward higher x value (+x ) for a very short time and
then switches the direction to toward lower x value (-x) and finally shifts
toward lower x value (-x).

Maybe you can open an issue here:
> https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/issues

I will open an issue.

Actually, in the later steps of the simulations, using umbrella sampling
and wham, I want to simulate the PMF a single molecule (called A; 26 atoms)
when it comes from water and diffuses inside the thin film till mid (com)
of thin film. pull_group1 and pull_group2 would be the Mol_A and thin_film,
respectively.

I don't know if this kind of drifting would affect on the PMF, if so, how?
If the comm-grps works I have the two following options to consider:
“comm-grps = thin_film Mol_A SOL”
or
“comm-grps = Other SOL”
Where the Other group contains the thin film and molecule A.
Which one do you recommend, please?

Thank you,
Alex