[gmx-users] Thin film drifting

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sun Mar 29 20:49:28 CEST 2020

Den 2020-03-29 kl. 19:43, skrev Alex:
> Thanks.
>
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 11:59 AM David van der Spoel <spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se>
> wrote:
>
>> Den 2020-03-29 kl. 15:16, skrev Alex:
>>> Thank Prof. van der Spoel for the response.
>>> No, it isn't. The thin film is solid. There are interaction within the
>> thin
>>> film and with water in the interface.
>>>
>>> Please find a short movie of the unwrapped trajectory of the simulation
>> in
>>> below link (water molecules are hidden); It shows minimization, then
>>> equalization (NVT : tcoupl = v-rescale), then equalization (NpT : tcoupl
>> =
>>> v-rescale and pcoupl = berendsen) and then production (NpT : tcoupl =
>>> v-rescale and pcoupl = Parrinello-Rahman).
>>>
>>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jk-Pun1BICNArGJaW0ydIY5TTivECGMf
>>>
>>> The thin film starts drifting significantly in the production along both
>>> and y directions.
>> Thanks, do you have isotropic pressure scaling?
>>
> Yes, the pcoupltype is isotropic. Please find the mdp file in below link.
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iYt6eTcQ4SBi1A9ZFOenL7Q7wc37UvLa
>

>> Is the shift towards higher x and y values?
>>
> The shift is toward higher y value (+y).
> It also firstly goes toward higher x value (+x ) for a very short time and
> then switches the direction to toward lower x value (-x) and finally shifts
> toward lower x value (-x).

But how is the solid modeled? Are there covalent bonds? It is not
certain there is a problem, at least I am not convinced. In P scaling
the coordinates of all particles are scaled by a constant and then
certain atoms can hop over PBC. If you plot the center of mass including
periodic boundaries (i.e. without unwrapping) it will be nicely in the
center of the box with few fluctuations. gmx traj may do this for you.

I and many others have done PMFs of small compounds over membranes of
different types, but not sure that anyone has noticed problems with
moving membranes.