[gmx-users] disulfide bridges

Miro Astore miro.astore at gmail.com
Sat May 2 15:54:08 CEST 2020

Oh thank you so much, I did not know it was a reference value. Given a
range of values might exist in one system I'm guessing minimization would
be the only way to deal with such a situation.

Best, Miro

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 9:53 PM Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 5/2/20 6:54 AM, Miro Astore wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying to make a protein with a fair few disulfide bridges and I
> > couldn't get it to work. I chose -ss yes and increased the minimum
> distance
> > in specbonds.dat but it doesn't seem to want to let me see all possible
> > pariings.
>
> specbond.dat does not set minimum distances. It sets a reference value,
> and a bond is only assigned if the distance in the coordinate file is
> within 10% of that reference. So if you were, for example, to increase
> the value from 0.2 nm (conventional) to 0.3 nm, you'll miss the
> disulfides that should be formed because the new reference range is 0.27
> - 0.33 nm and anything between 0.18 - 0.22 nm will not be assigned a
> disulfide linkage.
>
> > Any way I can nudge it in the right direction without performing a
> > minimisation with restraints?
>
> Depends on the range of distances in your structure, but this is often
> what you have to do.
>
> -Justin

> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor
> Office: 301 Fralin Hall
> Lab: 303 Engel Hall

> 340 West Campus Dr.
> Blacksburg, VA 24061
>
> jalemkul at vt.edu | (540) 231-3129
> http://www.thelemkullab.com

> * Please search the archive at
> posting!

> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Miro A. Astore   (he/him)
PhD Candidate | Computational Biophysics
Office 434 A28 School of Physics
University of Sydney