[gmx-users] Re: Active Site

Nuno R. L. Ferreira nunolf at ci.uc.pt
Wed Mar 30 11:21:25 CEST 2005

Hi Wei

About accessible surface ...
I know two programs that do this.
One is from Connolly's, called "msroll". Unfortunaly I think this one is not
free. But it's very good, cause performs a good tesselation.
The other one is "msms", from Sander's.

You didn't told if your active site is solvent exposed ...
Cause if that's not the case, there are a few programs that calculate
internal cavities, and possible their volume. Including Marc's one.
I do not remember the name of them, but a google search would certainly
resolve the problem. Once I used one to scan the protein for cavities, and
if there were any, then it adds water molecules to fill them. I think it was
"solvate" ... but do not know if this one in particular would give the
volume of the cavities.

Have fun.
Best regards,
Nuno