[gmx-users] Adding ions

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Nov 17 01:05:31 CET 2009

Arden Perkins wrote:
> I am an undergraduate student and I am still learning to use GROMACS.
> When I add my ions to the solution (using genion) by the procedure
> described in the funnel web spider tutorial the .gro and .top files do
> not match. I tried subtracting solvent molecules but they still dont
> match and I can't continue. What am I doing wrong?

Hard to say.  The bottom line is you haven't updated the topology correctly.  If
you use the -p flag with genbox (when adding solvent) and genion (when adding
ions) the changes are made automatically and you don't have to worry about
troubleshooting :)

For information on the error:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors#Number_of_coordinates_in_coordinate_file_does_not_match_topology

-Justin