[gmx-users] Temperature Coupling and Coupling-Groups

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Mar 1 17:13:01 CET 2010

shayamra at post.tau.ac.il wrote:
> Greetings dear Gromacs users,
>
> I would like to create a membrane-protein simulations (popc + protein,
> water, Na Cl ions, using Berendsen thermostat) and I am not sure which
> coupling-groups I should use.
> For example, why not couple the whole system together?
>
> I do realize that this is a large request on this type of mailing list.
> I will also be happy to receive references to relevant literature.

Most reports in the literature describe protein, lipids, and solvent+ions in
separate groups.  The reasons for not coupling the whole system together are
well-documented, and as a matter of fact, I just updated the Gromacs wiki this
weekend to point to several papers describing this phenomenon:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Thermostats

There are also numerous threads in the list archive on this topic, likely with
other references that I did not link.

-Justin

> Thanks in advance,
> -Shay