[gmx-users] g_order 4.0.7

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Mar 11 22:02:06 CET 2010

Jayeeta Ghosh wrote:
> I am sorry that I did not post the link to the report. I found that
> sometimes these links do not work specially if they are too old.

Odd, I've never had that happen, even with the oldest of posts.  Regardless,
always put your problem in context.

> http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2009-March/040068.html

Note that your problem is not entirely the same.  The reported issue was with
version 4.0, and the problem was not that the wrong output files were generated,
it was that the desired output files were generated, but were empty.  This was
not the result of a bug, it was an incorrect .ndx file being supplied to g_order.

> The result does not change with -o or -od option. I have 128 lipids (not
> exactly dppc though, head group is different) and water.

Does g_order print anything useful to the screen?  Usually it will warn about
index file corruption if it has been created incorrectly.  Is there anything
written to the (undesired) output files?  If your head groups are different from
DPPC, are all the subsequent atom names the same?  What you posted earlier
corresponds to naming specifically for the DPPC sn-1 chain; if your atom names
and numbering deviates from that, it surely won't work.

I have analyzed a DPPC membrane using g_order, version 4.0.7, and can attest
that it gives the proper output, so I don't think this is a bug.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar