[gmx-users] Re: How to control the density

teklebrh at ualberta.ca teklebrh at ualberta.ca
Sun Mar 14 18:54:05 CET 2010

Dear Justin,

> To use pdb2gmx, you need an .rtp entry.  For something like
 > united-atom n-heptane, this should be a relatively easy exercise,
 > even to write the topology by hand.  See the manual.

I just check the ffG53a6.rtp and I found that DPPC have an alkane chain. In my case          n-heptane. I followed the same idea you gave me for generating the toluene topology from PHE.  I made an entry to the .rtp using DPPC.

  pdb2gmx -f Heptane.pdb -o Heptane.gro -p Heptane.top -missing

  I got the topology from this force filed. Is this RIGHT!

Second, I am using the GROMOS96 ... ffG43a1 for my entire MD simulation since I am using as well PRODRG topology file for my polymors. In order to be consistent in all my simulation. I am using the ffG43a1 force field for heptane. Now I took the charge and charge group ONLY from ffG53a6.rtp of the DPPC and encorporate into the PRODRG.. to get a better topology. Is this the right thing to do. Please comment

Third, how to avoid using a large tau_p. Like tau_p=3 for example. I tried tau_p=1 but it does not look working. I got this error.

Fatal error:
Too many LINCS warnings (1663)
If you know what you are doing you can adjust the lincs warning threshold in your mdp file
or set the environment variable GMX_MAXCONSTRWARN to -1,
but normally it is better to fix the problem

But as soon as i changed its value. The MD is still running. Please comment.

Fouth, about the solvent box. when I fill my box that contain 8 polymers. What density do i need to keep for my mixture. By changing the solvent box I can change the entire density of the BOX of the actual simulation. what is the correct way of handling density.

Regards,