[gmx-users] Re: How to control the density

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Mar 14 19:16:08 CET 2010

teklebrh at ualberta.ca wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
>>  To use pdb2gmx, you need an .rtp entry.  For something like
>>  united-atom n-heptane, this should be a relatively easy exercise,
>>  even to write the topology by hand.  See the manual.
>
> I just check the ffG53a6.rtp and I found that DPPC have an alkane chain.
> In my case          n-heptane. I followed the same idea you gave me for
> generating the toluene topology from PHE.  I made an entry to the .rtp
> using DPPC.
>
>   pdb2gmx -f Heptane.pdb -o Heptane.gro -p Heptane.top -missing
>
>   I got the topology from this force filed. Is this RIGHT!

The Gromos96 parameter sets do not reproduce dihedral properties of n-alkanes
particularly well.  You'll have to go into the literature to see if this is an
adequate model.  As far as tricking pdb2gmx, there's nothing wrong with what
you've done, but you do need to justify that the resulting parameters are
reasonable.

> Second, I am using the GROMOS96 ... ffG43a1 for my entire MD simulation
> since I am using as well PRODRG topology file for my polymors. In order
> to be consistent in all my simulation. I am using the ffG43a1 force
> field for heptane. Now I took the charge and charge group ONLY from
> ffG53a6.rtp of the DPPC and encorporate into the PRODRG.. to get a
> better topology. Is this the right thing to do. Please comment

For a united-atom n-alkane, it should have little effect.  All the carbons have
zero charge.  But again I caution you about the model from which you are making
the assumptions.  There is a recent parameterization of various lipids from
Kukol, published some time ago in JCTC.  These may be better parameters, but I
have not looked thoroughly through them.

> Third, how to avoid using a large tau_p. Like tau_p=3 for example. I
> tried tau_p=1 but it does not look working. I got this error.

Better equilibration prior to applying pressure coupling, probably.

> Fatal error:
> Too many LINCS warnings (1663)
> If you know what you are doing you can adjust the lincs warning
> threshold in your mdp file
> or set the environment variable GMX_MAXCONSTRWARN to -1,
> but normally it is better to fix the problem
>
> But as soon as i changed its value. The MD is still running. Please comment.

I already did:

http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2010-March/049411.html

> Fouth, about the solvent box. when I fill my box that contain 8
> polymers. What density do i need to keep for my mixture. By changing the
> solvent box I can change the entire density of the BOX of the actual
> simulation. what is the correct way of handling density.

The density depends largely on the contents of the system.  If you have a high
percentage of solute, then you approach some sort of binary mixture rather than
a solution.  At very low solute concentration, the density of the solvent will
dominate, and so that is the "right" density, more or less.  The topic of
density has come up several times already this week; the ability to reproduce
experimental density depends on the quality of the model you employ.  You may
not achieve a perfectly correct experimental density without going through the
painful process of parameterization:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Parameterization

If you rely on stock parameters to do the job for you, you are subject to the
model's inherent limitations and flaws.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate