[gmx-users] gromacs 4.0 on CRAY-XT4

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Mar 17 08:55:40 CET 2010

On 17/03/2010 6:19 PM, BIN ZHANG wrote:
> Dear Mark:
>
> Thanks for your reply and sorry for my less info.

I'm confused about your statement "I was trying to build gromacs 4.0 on
a cray-xt4 machine, the same one as the benchmark in the gromacs4 paper"
because I can't see any mention of results on such a machine in J. Chem.
Theory Comput. 2008, 4, 435-447

> Here is the configuration line I used:
> module load fftw/2.1.5.1
> module load libxml2
> CXX=CC CC=cc F77=ftn MPICC=cc LIBS="$XML2_LIBDIR -L/usr/X11/lib64"
> ./configure --enable-mpi --enable-double --enable-fortran
> --prefix=$HOME/gmx/para --disable-nice --with-fft=fftw2
> --program-suffix=_mpi

The use of double precision and the absence of hardware-optimized inner
loops (--enable-fortran, since AFAIK there's no alternative on XT4) will
slow things down compared to an Intel machine.

> Also, I searched the maillist and added ddorder in the mdrun line, but
> that doesn't seem to help much.
> aprun -n 128 $gmxdir/mdrun_mpi -deffnm npt_02 -g npt_02.log -ddorder
> cartesian -npme 32

You will need to experiment with npme and ddorder to find what's best.
Also consider g_tune_pme in the git codebase.

Mark