[gmx-users] Re: g_desort

Chris Neale chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Mon Mar 22 17:41:03 CET 2010

Dear Jennifer:

The line that worries me the most is: "I don't really want to try to
figure out why gromacs-3.3.2 isn't working". First, I assume that you
ran your mdrun under gmx-3.3.2 and I would think that you need to
thoroughly understand why (and more importantly when) it broke. I may or
may not understand that point, but hopefully it will get cleared up in
question 2, below.

I have a number of questions. I find that it can get confusing to ask
many at once, but there are a lot of things that I don't understand, so
here goes. It would be best for me if you can stick to direct answers of
each question.

1. I tried again to obtain the tarball from
http://www.gromacs.org/index.php?title=Download_%26_Installation/User_contributions/Other_software
and obtained the same error. Can you obtain the tarball from there now?
If not, then please send me via personal email the tarball that you
obtained.

2. You say "..but put it in the dir for gromacs-3.3.2 (not working) and
not the dir for gromacs-3.3 (working version)"... and then later... "I
don't really want to try to figure out why gromacs-3.3.2 isn't working"
-------------------- what does this mean?

2a. Does your main compilation of gmx 3.3.2 work (i.e. can you run
grompp, mdrun, etc.)?

2b. Does g_desort compile without error when you compile it under
gromace-3.3 ?

3. You say that you have already generated the trajectories but that you
were never able to get g_desort to work? Can you confirm this? Sounds
strange to me because in my opion the -sort option to mdrun gromacs 3
was entirely useless without the g_desort program. This is because the
speedup that you see with -sort quickly disappears (the waters migrate
over space but their home cpu is not modified).

Chris.