[gmx-users] what's the differences between double precise version and single precise?

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 26 11:34:59 CET 2010

DreamCatcher wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>      I am wondering about the differences between the two precises
> version.Can somebody give me some advice about that under what condition
> should I take the double precise version and when to choose the other
> one? What's the big differences between them? Can I try to install two
> different versions on the same computer? Will this operation make any
> big bugs? Then how to fix them?

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Precision

You can install two versions on the same machine without any problem, just make
sure to use, for example --program-suffix=_d when compiling double precision to
avoid overwriting single-precision executables.  For the vast majority of cases,
single precision suffices.

-Justin

>       Thanks in advance!
>
>   celeste