[gmx-users] Using lennard jones and buckingham terms simultaneously

Gareth Tribello gareth.tribello at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 16:40:00 CEST 2010

Hello again

Still trying to get this carbonate forcefield to work with gromacs.  I now
know that the tables and so on are being read in correctly as I can get
gromacs to reproduce the energies that I get for the various terms when I
calculate them by hand/with a separate program.  There is stilla a problem
with the charge groups however.  As when I attempt to split up the atoms in
the water molecule the simulation fails.  Again checking that I am doing
this correctly I would replace:

;       at type       res nr  res name  at name       cg nr     charge
mass
1       amber99_61      1       SOL      OW            1       0
16.00000
2       amber99_60      1       SOL     HW2            1       0.52422
1.00800
3       amber99_60      1       SOL     HW3            1       0.52422
1.00800
4       MW                  1       SOL     MW4           1      -1.04844
0.00000

with

;       at type       res nr  res name  at name       cg nr     charge
mass
1       amber99_61      1       SOL      OW            1       0
16.00000
2       amber99_60      1       SOL     HW2            2       0.52422
1.00800
3       amber99_60      1       SOL     HW3            3       0.52422
1.00800
4       MW                  1       SOL     MW4           4      -1.04844
0.00000

The problem I get (even if I just run water without any carbonate/tabulated
potentials) if I do the above is that the settles algorithm fails.

I'm obviously missing something fundamental - I'm not even sure that cg nr
stands for the charge group.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gareth