[gmx-users] Using lennard jones and buckingham terms simultaneously

Matthew Watkins matthew.watkins at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Mar 30 17:09:10 CEST 2010

Hi Gareth,

Gareth Tribello wrote:
> Hello again
>
> Still trying to get this carbonate forcefield to work with gromacs.  I
> now know that the tables and so on are being read in correctly as I can
> get gromacs to reproduce the energies that I get for the various terms
> when I calculate them by hand/with a separate program.  There is stilla
> a problem with the charge groups however.  As when I attempt to split up
> the atoms in the water molecule the simulation fails.  Again checking
> that I am doing this correctly I would replace:
>
> ;       at type       res nr  res name  at name       cg nr
> charge     mass
> 1       amber99_61      1       SOL      OW            1       0
> 16.00000
> 2       amber99_60      1       SOL     HW2            1       0.52422
> 1.00800
> 3       amber99_60      1       SOL     HW3            1       0.52422
> 1.00800
> 4       MW                  1       SOL     MW4           1
> -1.04844   0.00000
>
> with
>
> ;       at type       res nr  res name  at name       cg nr
> charge     mass
> 1       amber99_61      1       SOL      OW            1       0
> 16.00000
> 2       amber99_60      1       SOL     HW2            2       0.52422
> 1.00800
> 3       amber99_60      1       SOL     HW3            3       0.52422
> 1.00800
> 4       MW                  1       SOL     MW4           4
> -1.04844   0.00000
>
> The problem I get (even if I just run water without any
> carbonate/tabulated potentials) if I do the above is that the settles
> algorithm fails.

extract from *.top file for TIP4P_2005 water, below.  I think you can
use two charge groups - one with OW and one with HW + MW - both groups
are then neutral, which might be beneficial.

You then need an index group with a HW and MW group (or whatever you
call them).  Something like below in you *.mdp.

"
energygrps               = F Ca OW HW_AND_T_MW
energygrp_table          = OW OW F F F Ca Ca OW F OW F HW_AND_T_MW
"

I am not sure that settles likes the split charge group, I'm using lincs
at the moment.

Cheers,

Matt

"
[moleculetype]
; name nrexcl
water  1

[atoms]
; nr type resnr residu atom cgnr charge
1     OW   1     OW  OW   1     0          15.994
2     HW   1     HW  HW   2     0.5564    1.008
3     HW   1     HW  HW   2     0.5564    1.008
4     MW   1     MW  MW   2    -1.1128    0.0

[constraints]
;i j funct doh  dhh
1       2       1       0.09572
1       3       1       0.09572