[gmx-users] suitable parameter settings for intermolecular non-bonded interaction

vedat durmaz durmaz at zib.de
Wed Mar 31 14:44:11 CEST 2010

thanks to both of you for your helpful hints. actually, i'm not using
the LIE method as available with the gromacs package, but planning to
implement the model myself using energies from gromacs runs.

be that as it may, one thing remained unclear (see below please).

 Mark Abraham schrieb:
> On 31/03/2010 9:15 PM, vedat durmaz wrote:
>> hello out there,
>>
>> i'm trying to simulate a receptor ligand system in order to extract
>> intermolecular non-bonded interaction energies (vdw/coulomb) and apply
>> the linear interaction energy model.
>
> Agreed on Sander's point, here.
>
>> which parameter settings do you recommend for highly accurate results?
>> up to now, i had chosen (copied from somewhere :)
>
> Well, write it down, because you'll need to defend your choices later :-)
>
>> rlist                = 1.2
>> vdwtype              = shift
>> rvdw                 = 1.0
>> rvdw-switch          = 0.9
>> coulombtype          = PME-Switch ; PME
>> rcoulomb             = 1.1
>>
>> resulting in LJ-14 = 0, and Coulomb-14 = 0 (which i "intuitionally"
>> prefer to LJ-SR and Coulomb-SR).
>
> I've no idea what you mean by this.

what i mean is that after having applied "g_energy" to the energy output
file in order to extract non-bonded energies, all "Coulomb-14" and
"LJ-14" terms shape up to be equal to zero (as if they haven't been
calculated), but "Coulomb-SR" and "LJ-SR" are plausible decimal numbers
like for example -48.1234. though, at the moment i "tend" to operate on
*-14 energies. how can i tell gromacs to compute these terms?