[gmx-users] suitable parameter settings for intermolecular non-bonded interaction

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Mar 31 17:49:50 CEST 2010

On 31/03/2010 11:44 PM, vedat durmaz wrote:
> thanks to both of you for your helpful hints. actually, i'm not using
> the LIE method as available with the gromacs package, but planning to
> implement the model myself using energies from gromacs runs.

Sure... it's still only an algorithm that generates a fairly coarse
approximation.

> be that as it may, one thing remained unclear (see below please).
>

>   Mark Abraham schrieb:
>> On 31/03/2010 9:15 PM, vedat durmaz wrote:
>>> hello out there,
>>>
>>> i'm trying to simulate a receptor ligand system in order to extract
>>> intermolecular non-bonded interaction energies (vdw/coulomb) and apply
>>> the linear interaction energy model.
>>
>> Agreed on Sander's point, here.
>>
>>> which parameter settings do you recommend for highly accurate results?
>>> up to now, i had chosen (copied from somewhere :)
>>
>> Well, write it down, because you'll need to defend your choices later :-)
>>
>>> rlist                = 1.2
>>> vdwtype              = shift
>>> rvdw                 = 1.0
>>> rvdw-switch          = 0.9
>>> coulombtype          = PME-Switch ; PME
>>> rcoulomb             = 1.1
>>>
>>> resulting in LJ-14 = 0, and Coulomb-14 = 0 (which i "intuitionally"
>>> prefer to LJ-SR and Coulomb-SR).
>>
>> I've no idea what you mean by this.
>

> what i mean is that after having applied "g_energy" to the energy output
> file in order to extract non-bonded energies, all "Coulomb-14" and
> "LJ-14" terms shape up to be equal to zero (as if they haven't been
> calculated),

Well that means they weren't calculated. Whether that's reasonable
depends on your forcefield.

>  but "Coulomb-SR" and "LJ-SR" are plausible decimal numbers
> like for example -48.1234. though, at the moment i "tend" to operate on
> *-14 energies. how can i tell gromacs to compute these terms?

*Tend*? Your usage of that word makes no scientific sense that I can
see. What on earth is more significant about non-bonded interactions
between atoms separated by 3 bonds than other non-bonded interactions? :-)

Mark