[gmx-users] Hydrogen existence time

aiswarya pawar aiswarya.pawar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 11:12:55 CEST 2011

Emanuel,

Am trying out the procedure u have mentioned but on the other hand i found
out a article which mentions does the same.

https://extras.csc.fi/chem/courses/gmx2004/exercises/index.html

The article states-

use the g_hbond program to analyse hydrogen bonds. First select protein
twice, to get the intramolecular hydrogen bonds, then select protein and
water to get the protein-water h-bonds. Compare the numbers, and their
fluctuations. Is there a trend in the graphs, or a correlation between them?
You can also compute the residence time of the water molecules on the
different functional groups of the protein., e.g. the Ala sidechain. For
this we will have to make an index file first:

% make_ndx -f after_em_sol << EOF
a OW
EOF
% g_hbond -contact -n index -ac -r 0.6 -b 200
In the g_hbond command select Sidechain and OW. The -c option computes the
autocorrelation function of the contact time between Cβ and OW. View the
file hbac.xvg using xmgrace. Use xmgrace to integrate the ACF, this will
give you the correlation time. Is it higher or lower than you expected? Why?

Now do the same analysis for interactions between Carbonyl groups and Amide
groups and water oxygens. For these analyses you should put the distance to
0.35, the largest hydrogen bonding distance. Compare the residence times
with that on the hydrophobic sidechain.

as it mentioned the -contact wouldnt include any H bonds between the groups.
but i didnt understand what does OW states cause already there is an option
for water.
does this procedure be good for an residence time.

-Aiswarya