[gmx-users] Inaccurate pressure readings

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Jan 21 00:33:33 CET 2011

On 21/01/2011 10:12 AM, Denny Frost wrote:
> Sorry, I'm referring to a lot of runs here - some fluctuate more than
> others and some have greater average values than others.  The average
> value is never greater than the maximum fluctuation in each run, so
> that is not a problem.  The average given by g_energy, however, is not
> close to 1.0 bar in any of my runs.  Some runs give an average
> pressure of 10 bar, some give an average value of -1000 bar.

In addition to all the points Justin mentioned, I'd observe that you're
generating velocities at the start of the run, so the system will not be
equilibrated for some time after that. See the advice here
www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Steps_to_Perform_a_Simulation.
Anyway, you don't want to collect data for averages until after
equilibration.

Secondly, tau-t of 0.1 is useful for equilibration, but a bit too
stringent for actual simulations. Using v-rescale T-coupling is probably
a good idea too.

Until you address all these issues about the numerical quality of your
model of reality, hoping for observables to correlate with reality is
not justified.

Mark