[gmx-users] Test Particle Insertion

Steven Neumann s.neumann08 at gmail.com
Wed May 16 11:44:14 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Javier Cerezo <jcb1 at um.es> wrote:

>  About the red curve, I guess fluctuations might be directly related to
> volume fluctuations, you can extract the volume over time from g_energy
> (boxXX*boxYY**boxZZ) and compare. (just another comment, now I am not very
> sure about the "f." that precedes the red line legend..)
>
> About the interpretation of the quantities, the Widom technique does not
> provide you with an absolute value of the chemical potential but directly
> with the excess chemical potential. So, mu=-kTlog(Ve ^ (U*B)/(V))n+1 is the
> excess chemical potential, where (if I recall correctly) U_{n+1} is the the
> interaction energy  between the inserted particle and the rest of the
> system. You don't need (and should not do) such post-processing operations
> that you proposed to get the excess chemical potential.
>
> Javier

Thank you.
In this case I am considering the curve with NPT - with volume.

>From the equation u=-kTlog(Ve ^ (U*B)/(V))n+1  (the one on the plot - if it
is correct! Or it should be with delta?) we will obtain the chemical
potential of the system with N+1 molecules. To obtain the excess we need to
have chemical potential of the system wit N particles and the substract it
according to the equation:
http://www.sklogwiki.org/SklogWiki/index.php/Widom_test-particle_method
If it is a mistake and there is deltaU this is the exceess, if not this is
only for N+1. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

Steven