[gmx-users] Re: CHARMM .mdp settings for GPU

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Nov 9 22:21:09 CET 2013

On 11/9/13 4:16 PM, rajat desikan wrote:
> Hi Justin,
> I take it that both the sets of parameters should produce identical
> macroscopic quantities.
> For the GPU, is this a decent .mdp?
>
> cutoff-scheme    = Verlet
> vdwtype             = switch
> rlist                    = 1.2
> ;rlistlong             = 1.4                     NOT USED IN GPU...IS THIS
> OK?
> rvdw                   = 1.2
> ;rvdw-switch        = 1.0                    NOT USED IN GPU...IS THIS OK?
> coulombtype       = pme
> DispCorr             = EnerPres
> rcoulomb            = 1.2

I have no basis for saying whether or not it will produce correct results.  I
have never tested this force field on GPU with the Verlet scheme.  My biggest
concern is with the treatment of van der Waals interactions, and I have not used
the Verlet scheme enough to understand what it is doing and how it will treat
the interactions that should be switched.  If someone else can comment, that
would be useful to me, as well!

Test carefully and please report back.  A comparison between CPU and GPU would
be very valuable.

-Justin

> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Justin Lemkul [via GROMACS] <
> ml-node+s5086n5012351h26 at n6.nabble.com> wrote:
>

>> On 11/7/13 11:32 PM, Rajat Desikan wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>> The setting that I mentioned above are from Klauda et al., for a POPE
>>> membrane system. They can be found in charmm_npt.mdp in lipidbook (link
>>> below)
>>> http://lipidbook.bioch.ox.ac.uk/package/show/id/48.html
>>>
>>> Is there any reason not to use their .mdp parameters for a
>> membrane-protein
>>> system? Justin's recommendation is highly valued since I am using his
>>> forcefield. Justin, your comments please
>>>

>> Careful now, it's not "my forcefield."  I derived only a very small part
>> of it :)
>>
>>> To summarize:
>>> Klauda et al., suggest
>>> rlist                      = 1.0
>>> rlistlong                = 1.4
>>> rvdw_switch          = 0.8
>>> vdwtype                = Switch
>>> coulombtype          = pme
>>> DispCorr                = EnerPres     ;only usefull with reaction-field
>>> and pme or pppm
>>> rcoulomb               = 1.0
>>> rcoulomb_switch    = 0.0
>>> rvdw                     = 1.2
>>>
>>> Justin's recommendation (per mail above)
>>> vdwtype = switch
>>> rlist = 1.2
>>> rlistlong = 1.4
>>> rvdw = 1.2