[gmx-users] SPC Water Bond Lengths

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun May 4 01:10:29 CEST 2014

On 5/3/14, 7:00 PM, David Ackerman wrote:
> I calculated the bond lengths by printing out the x,y,z coordinates of the
> oxygens and hydrogens and calculating the distances between them.
> Similarly, for dppc128.pdb, I calculated the distances based on the x,y,z
> coordinates of the oxygens and hydrogens. I also see a similar distribution
> to what I mentioned when doing the same calculation for spc216.gro.
>
> Is the distance between oxygens and hydrogens not the correct way to
> estimate bond length?

It is, but I can't reproduce your findings.  Running spc216.gro through g_bond
produces the expected output - an extremely narrow distribution that spans the
range of 0.099 - 0.101 nm (avg ± stdev is 1.0000 ± 0.0004).  Simply visualizing
spc216.gro confirms there are no weird geometries, though your numbers would
suggest something should be obviously wrong.

I suspect something in your calculation has gone wrong.

-Justin

> -David
>

> On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 6:39 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 5/3/14, 6:34 PM, David Ackerman wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I had a question regarding SPC water. I know that SPC water is rigid with
>>> constrained bond lengths. However, I have noticed in my simulations that
>>> the OH bond lengths and H-H distances can vary somewhat significantly. For
>>> instance, I have run simulations containing ~140000 SPC waters, and the
>>> average OH bond length is around ~0.79 Angstroms, with a max of 1 and a
>>> minimum of nearly 0. Also, dppc128.pdb from
>>> http://people.ucalgary.ca/~tieleman/download.html, which utilized SPC
>>> waters, also has an average OH bond length of ~0.79 Angstroms. In both
>>> cases, I see a distribution in bond lengths that is very high near 1
>>> Angstrom, and dies off as it approaches 0.
>>>
>>> I was wondering if this is expected. Assuming the water is rigid, should
>>> the bond lengths remain more fixed than what I am seeing?
>>>
>>> I apologize if this is an ignorant question, but aside from seeing that
>>> SPC
>>> water is supposed to be rigid, I have seen no mention of bond length
>>> distributions.
>>>

>> There should be no distribution.  The bond lengths should be fixed.  How
>> are you measuring these values to give rise to these distributions?  If an
>> O-H bond length actually approached zero, the constraint algorithm would
>> fail and the simulation would die.  In fact, even a very small deviation
>> from the constraint length would trigger obvious warnings in the .log or
>> stderr output.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy
>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>> 20 Penn St.
>> Baltimore, MD 21201

>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/
>> Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences