[gmx-users] tabulated potentials - cutoff

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon May 5 10:41:05 CEST 2014

On May 5, 2014 10:01 AM, "Sabine Reisser" <sabine.reisser at kit.edu> wrote:

> So that means the electrostatics are calculated as given in the tables
and no long range electrostatics corrections (like PME or RF) are applied?

Correct. The .mdp settings determine what interactions are computed; the
table just says the values computed. If you wanted PME long-range also,
there's a coulombtype for that.

Mark

> Cheers
> Sabine
>

> Am 28.04.2014 18:28, schrieb Justin Lemkul:
>

>> On 4/28/14, 9:19 AM, Sabine Reisser wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm using tabulated potentials to create a hole in a membrane. I define
three
>>> groups: 2 dummy-atoms, all hydrophobic lipid chains, and rest. For the
>>> interactions between the dummy atoms and the hydrophobic chains I
define an
>>> exclusively repulsive potential. All other interactions are defined
normally
>>> (Coulomb, 6-12 LJ potentials). The 2 dummy atoms are placed on top and
below the
>>> lipid bilayer, directly over each other. Then I use the pull code to
pull the
>>> two dummy-atoms towards each other, thereby repelling the hydrophobic
lipid
>>> chains and opening a pore.
>>>
>>> This works. But I couldn't figure out how the long range interactions
are
>>> treated. I assumed only interactions are counted where the distance
between
>>> atoms is within the range defined in my tables. However, I do define a
cutoff
>>> radius max(rcoulomb, rvdw), I will call it rcutoff now. In the tables,
I have to