[gmx-users] problem still there for ACE

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon May 5 14:16:59 CEST 2014

On 5/5/14, 12:30 AM, Albert wrote:
> On 05/04/2014 11:44 PM, Justin Lemkul wrote:
>> No, what I said in that thread is that the OP had constructed ACE incorrectly
>> such that it contained an N that shouldn't be there. There should indeed not
>> be any N atom in ACE.  The second approach is simply incorrect; you need to
>> interactively select termini when using capping groups.  The first approach
>> was completely correct, but note that the problem is not with ACE, it is with
>> NMA. pdb2gmx is finding LYS as the terminus instead of NMA, and when you tell
>> pdb2gmx to apply to terminus, LYS has a dangling (incomplete) end.  Likely
>> this stems from the fact that residuetypes.dat does not, by default, include
>> NMA as a Protein residue, so pdb2gmx finds a Protein chain from ACE38 -
>> LYS335, then a separate Other chain of NMA.  Adding NMA to residuetypes.dat
>> and repeating the first approach will solve the problem.
>>
>> -Justin
>

> HI Justin:
>
> thanks a lot for helpful advices.
>
> I add NMA to residuetypes.dat. and run it again:
>

> pdb2gmx -f p.pdb -o gmx.pdb -ter
>
> Linking CYS-121 SG-624 and CYS-198 SG-1215...
> Select start terminus type for ACE-38
>   0: NH3+
>   1: NH2
>   2: 5TER
>   3: None
> 3
> Start terminus ACE-38: None
> Select end terminus type for NMA-335
>   0: COO-
>   1: COOH
>   2: CT2
>   3: 3TER
>   4: None
> 4
> End terminus NMA-335: None
> Opening force field file
> /soft/gromacs-4.6.5/share/gromacs/top/charmm36-mar2014.ff/merged.arn

> Program pdb2gmx, VERSION 4.6.5
> Source code file: /home/albert/gromacs-4.6.5/src/kernel/pdb2gmx.c, line: 727
>
> Fatal error:
> Atom HN in residue NMA 335 was not found in rtp entry NMA with 6 atoms
> while sorting atoms.
>
> For a hydrogen, this can be a different protonation state, or it
> might have had a different number in the PDB file and was rebuilt
> (it might for instance have been H3, and we only expected H1 & H2).
> Note that hydrogens might have been added to the entry for the N-terminus.
> Remove this hydrogen or choose a different protonation state to solve it.
> Option -ignh will ignore all hydrogens in the input.

CHARMM has unique nomenclature for amide H atoms, so H needs to be renamed HN,
though unfortunately that's also wrong in the .rtp file.  I'll fix that for the
future.

> Here is a coordinate for NMA:
>
> ATOM   4782  N   NMA X 335      40.573  10.815  43.885  1.00 0.00           N
> ATOM   4784  H   NMA X 335      40.023   9.969  43.894  1.00 0.00           H
> ATOM   4783 CH3  NMA X 335      41.042  11.390  45.138  1.00 0.00           C
> ATOM   4785 HH31 NMA X 335      41.625  12.311  44.913  1.00 0.00           H
> ATOM   4786 HH32 NMA X 335      40.172  11.644  45.784  1.00 0.00           H
> ATOM   4787 HH33 NMA X 335      41.688  10.657  45.670  1.00 0.00           H
>
> which is consistent from that in merge.rtp file:
> [ NMA ] ; terminal residue, provided by Mark Abraham
>   [ atoms ]
>         N       NH1     -0.470  1
>         H       H       0.310   1
>         CH3     CT3     -0.110  1
>         HH31    HA3     0.090   1
>         HH32    HA3     0.090   1
>         HH33    HA3     0.090   1
>   [ bonds ]
>         -C      N
>         N       H
>         N       CH3
>         CH3     HH31
>         CH3     HH32
>         CH3     HH33
>   [ impropers ]
>         N       -C      CH3     H
>         -C      CH3     N       -O
>

> I don't know why it claimed error again.... I try to run:
>
> pdb2gmx -f p.pdb -o gmx.pdb -ter -ign
>
> but it failed with messages:
>
> Fatal error:
> There were 4 missing atoms in molecule Protein_chain_X, if you want to use this
> incomplete topology anyhow, use the option -missing

If you use -ignh, you'll be ignoring the 4 H atoms on NMA, and since there is no
NMA in the .hdb file, they're not rebuilt and remain missing.  The simplest
thing to do is rename your amide H atom and fix the .rtp file.  I'll fix the
.hdb for a future release.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601