[gmx-users] Force Field for Bilayer Simulations with Cholesterol and Proteins

David Ackerman da294 at cornell.edu
Fri May 9 15:56:38 CEST 2014

Hello,

I appreciate all the responses.

I would like to keep my simulations United Atom. And the paper I am basing
my work and parameter files on used ffgmx with the Holtje cholesterol and
Berger parameters for the lipids. Therefore, most of the interactions are
Berger interactions, except for the Berger-Gromos interactions of lipid to
cholesterol. I now have learned that a modified cholesterol with Berger
parameters might be better and would reduce effects of overcondensation.

I plan on testing 53a6 with Berger lipid parameters and modified
cholesterol (with Berger LP2 and LP3 replacing CH2 and CH3) to see if it
has any significant qualitative effects on my results for a protein-free
bilayer. This would be especially important if I want to compare these
results with a protein-containing bilayer, since I've come to realize the
gmx force field is not the best for proteins.

-David