[gmx-users] vdw radii in g_sas

Antonio Baptista baptista at itqb.unl.pt
Sat May 10 03:55:23 CEST 2014

You can indeed compute ff-dependent atomic radii from nonbonded
parameters, which might be sometimes convenient (e.g., when trying to
optimize a particular methodology). Some ways to do that are discussed in
section 2.5 of http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp052259f.

However, note that the surfaces, volumes, etc computed by tools like g_sas
are physically vague properties. They are based on a geometrically
well-defined but somewhat arbitrary algorithm (Lee-Richards, Connolly,
etc), an idealized spherical solvent probe, and a vaguely defined set of
"atomic radii" -- even if you use experimentally-derived "van der Waals
radii", their relation with the data (and thus their physical meaning) is
neither straightforward nor unique.

Since the properties that g_sas computes are physically vague, the
important thing is to not depart too much from the usual methodology and
allow others to reproduce your results. So, unless you are trying to do
something unusual (as in the paper cited above), use the default GROMACS
values and cite the version (which has a unique vdwradii.dat), or use
instead a familiar set of radii (e.g., Bondi) and cite the corresponding
paper.

Cheers,
Antonio

On Fri, 9 May 2014, Tsjerk Wassenaar wrote:

> Do mind that the radius for P in PO4 is different from that for P alone.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tsjerk
> On May 9, 2014 10:53 PM, "Justin Lemkul" <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 5/9/14, 3:35 PM, rajat desikan wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Justin. I am curious about the value for a phosphorus atom (protein
>>> in phospholipid bilayer; g_sas issues a warning). Do you know any
>>> reference
>>> for experimental values?
>>>

>> Google knows.
>>
>> -Justin

>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy
>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>> 20 Penn St.
>> Baltimore, MD 21201

>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/
>> Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Antonio M. Baptista
Instituto de Tecnologia Quimica e Biologica, Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Av. da Republica - EAN, 2780-157 Oeiras, Portugal
phone: +351-214469619         email: baptista at itqb.unl.pt
fax:   +351-214411277         WWW:   http://www.itqb.unl.pt/~baptista